Monday, October 18, 2010

"What Is It? - What Is My Studio Practice?"














My studio practice will begin with a project that I created for myself. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have the objective of trying my hand at character and story development. This is an interest of mine that I am exploring in relation to my dream of working in the film industry. Specifically, I will be exploring the route of animation - however, I will not actually be animating anything. My first few projects will relate to the preliminary work involved with creating an animated story, which involves character and story development, storyboards, colorscripts, etc., and I will be exploring each of the these outlets in a variety of wet and dry traditional media, in addition to digital painting.
My motivation to create stories and characters is a result from my recent visit to the Oakland Museum of California, in Oakland, CA, where I viewed the Pixar exhibition, Pixar: 25 Years of Animation. I purchased the book from the exhibition, and have been treating it as some sort of bible since then. It pairs well with my Tim Burton exhibition book from the MOMA exhibition :).
Over the summer I bought a graphics tablet, and tried to teach myself how to paint digitally. I experimented with digital art pertaining to concept art and illustration, and spent most of my time studying the work of those who create what I admire. This project is another opportunity for me experiment in a field that I enjoy. I will begin by creating a small number of characters, and developing their facial expressions and colors. I would also like to create a story for them, and a setting in which they will live.
I live in a website called CGHub - this site houses the work of artists of all ages, all experience and skill levels, from all over the world. For example, the concept artist for Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland has an account on this site, and posts his concept art for the film. Another favorite of mine is Dave Rapoza, a freelance artist who has a website called Crimson Daggers, where he uploads free tutorials for aspiring digital artists, such as me! I posted some examples of their work; hopefully everyone recognizes the caterpillar from Alice! This is Michael Kutsche's , the concept artist for the Burton remake. The other belongs to Rapoza.
Maybe one day some kid will be posting my work in their blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment